PRODUCTS & SERVICES
Commercial Glass: Fire Rated Glass
Contact ABC GLASS AND MIRROR for the fire-rated glass specified by the building code in your locale. With our experience and expertise in the glass field, we can assist you in selecting the best products to meet code requirements and maintain safe conditions. We make it easy to get started by giving you an opportunity to meet with one of our glaziers and get an estimate for free. Just call our office at (703)257-7150 to set up this initial on-site consultation at a time that is convenient for you. Put your fire-rated glass needs in the hands of an experienced, respected, local company – ABC GLASS AND MIRROR
Fire rated glass is specially manufactured to contain and resist fire, smoke, and sometimes heat. It is required in certain structures by state and local building codes across the country, as well as national regulations. There are a variety of ratings for different fire-rated products, and these relate to features such as how long the glass can resist fire, whether it can withstand the jet of water from a fire hose and the accompanying temperature shock, and how resistant it is to impact. Our fire rated glass is a ceramic product and is generally between 1/4" and 5/8” thick.
What are some things to consider when thinking of using fire rated glass?
When selecting fire rated glass, it is important to have a clear and thorough understanding of the applicable building code(s) as well as federal requirements. First, determine where fire-rated glass is mandated in your building. Other important considerations include, but are not limited to-
- How long the glass must be able to resist fire – ratings are between 20 and 180 minutes.
- Whether it must pass the thermal shock test, a test that determines if the glass can hold up to the water used to put out the fire.
- What kind of impact resistance the glass must have.
What are some special fire rated glass products?
- Glass fire walls are large glass panels that are thicker than ordinary fire-rated glass. Because of their multiple layers, they can contain heat, as well as flames and smoke. These can span areas from ceiling to floor and from one wall to another, but they must be installed in the appropriate fire-resistant framing. They are also very impact-resistant.
- Fire rated insulated units are also possible. Here fire rated glass is used to construct an insulated unit, which is a pane composed of two sheets of glass with an air-tight space in between. Energy-efficient features such as LOW-E can be added to these units, and they are also useful for indoor installations where sound needs to be contained.
What is the purpose of fire rated glass?
Fire rated glass is beneficial in a couple key ways. First, this glass can help contain a fire until help arrives, thus protecting lives and property. Additionally, the use of fire rated glass in exit routes can help provide a safe means of escape in case fire should break out in your building. Learn more about the usefulness of this special glass at your complimentary consultation with an ABC GLASS AND MIRROR specialist.
Meet code requirements with fire rated glass from ABC GLASS AND MIRROR
If you need fire-rated glass installed, we hope you will call us at (703)257-7150 to get details on the various options, important product considerations, pricing, and more. Remember that your initial glass conference and estimate cost nothing and provide you with a great opportunity to get your questions answered. Fire rated glass from a reliable, family-owned company – ABC GLASS AND MIRROR – is great choice for Northern Virginia businesspersons!